Akshaya Tritiya 2012 -The Golden Day
Akshaya Tritiya 2012
Akshaya (in Sanskrit) means one that never diminishes (a-kshaya). This is the most important day for Hindus as the day is believed to bring success and good luck. This is one of the three and half “Muhurtas” or auspicious days on which Hindus prefer to start any new venture like building a house or housewarming ceremony or purchasing gold and even marriages or engagement etc. This year Akshaya Tritiya falls on 24th April 2012.
It is a common belief in Hindus that they get a lasting prosperity by buying precious metal like gold on this day. So buying gold is a popular activity on this day in India. Akshaya Tritiya is an ultimate symbol of wealth and prosperity.
In the same way Akshaya Tritiya is also important in a spiritual way for Hindus.
- It is believed as this day marked the beginning of Satyayuga that is the first of four yugas.
- On this day Maharshi Ved Vyasa started writing epic of Mahabharata along with Ganesha .
- The most sacred river for Indians - Ganga descended to the earth on Akshaya Tritiya.
- It is believed that Lord Krishna gave Draupadi a bowl of Akshaya Patra where food came in abundance.
- Sudama visited his childhood buddy Lord Krishna along with a hearty gift of handful beaten rice (Flakes) on the very same day of Akshaya Tritiya. The story associated with Sudama’s offering is told along with Lord Krishna’s affirmation in Holy Gita “ Who ever offers a leaf, a flower, a fruit or even water with devotion , that I accept, offered as it is with loving heart.“
Any worship performed or daan that is donation given on the day of Akshaya Tritiya is considered a very good Karma. The fruits that are born from our good Karma on this day keep on multiplying.
Doing charity is the most important activity on this day. One can donate ready food or even rice, wheat, clothes, salt, vegetables, fruits or cool refreshing drinks and remembering the departed ancestors on this day is believed to add good karmas and do well for devotees.
Hence there are many reasons why Akshaya Tritiya is considered as a wish fulfilling day in Hindus. Hope you all will celebrate the day with devotion and joy.
Happy Akshya Tritiya to every one!