How to make Pani Puri?
How to make Pani Puri?
Pani puri is the most popular chat of North Indians. People love to eat it on the street side stalls, hotels, big malls and even at home. Pani puri is a tasty snack item. It is also called gol gappe or puchka in North India. I love Pani puri very much so this is the first chat dish I am giving for all my friends here.
For making Pani Puri at home first we will see how to make Puris at home.
To make PURI , we need
- 1 cup Samolina (Rava/Suji)
- 3 tblsp fine wheat flour (or maida)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Oil to deep fry
How to make PURI?
- Mix rava, wheat flour or maida, baking soda, salt to taste and enough water to knead soft dough.
- Cover it with wet cloth for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Make small size balls.
- Roll them in thin rounds with the help of maida
- Heat the oil in the pan and deep fry puri till it become crisp and light golden brown.
- The puri should be pressed in the center and along the sides using the laddle while frying them. Puris will puff up this way.
- Store puris in airtight container when cool. Else the crispiness of the puris will be affected.
To make PANI, we need
- ½ cup tamarind pulp (imli)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tblsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- Chat masala or Amchur powder
- Mint leaves ½ cup
- Coriander leaves ½ cup
- Black salt ( As far as possible avoid using normal salt)
- 2 tbspn jaggary
How to make PANI?
- Soak tamarind in half cup of water (soak in warm water) for one hour. Strain out the pulp from a sieve. Add jaggary to taste.
- Combine this pulp with all the ingredients other than salt. (chat masala/ amchur powder, roasted jira powder, mint, coriander leaves)
- Take the pulp in large bowl and add salt and two cups of water and mix it well.
- Chill it for one hour and let the flavors blend well.
Pani Puri Recipe – Ingredients
- Puri – 10 to 15 puris
- Pani – 2 cups
- Onion – one chopped
- Potato – 1 smashed
- Chilly power- ½ tsp
- Turmeric power – 1tbspn
- Sprouted green gram – 1 cup
- Mint chutney – 2 tbspn
- Sweet chutney – 2tbspn
- Salt for taste.
Assembling Pani puri is an enjoyable activity-
- Add mash potato, chilli powder, turmeric and salt.
- Crack a small hole in the center of the puri , add a tsp of mashed potato, a tsp of sprouted green gram, add mint chutney and sweet chutney . Add chopped onion if you like and finally pour the prepared pani in the puri. Your first Pani puri is ready.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the spicy, tangy explosion of flavors in mouth.
It is always better to serve and consume it immediately since puris will get soggy after some time. Pani puri is called as King of Chat. And now we find its stalls almost all over India at every tourist place.
Eating pani puri can never be a single person activity. It will be always fun if all the people at home together will eat it and serve it to one another.
I hope this information will encourage you to make pani puri at home. Some times in Mumbai Pani puri eating competitions are organized. If any of you have participated or going to participate in such competitions, please share your comments here.
Eating Pani puri is a skillful work. Following video will give the idea of “How to eat Pani puri?”