To be in a profession and being a professional is the need of the time today.
So what is profession?
This can be told with a simple example: Designing a building is called as profession, the professional is called Architect, where as constructing a building is called occupation and those who do the work are called labourers.
If any one is interested in choosing a path for profession, it will be better to do so, on the basis of his potential, motivation and self assessment. Following points have to be considered before hand while choosing the professional programs.
- Try to know your strengths and weaknesses. Prepare a list.
- Find out the reasons why you want to study a particular discipline and why you will not like to study any other discipline compared to chosen one.
- Try to make a chart of your career path, after imagining about your goals in 5, 10 and 20 years.
- Find out the academic, social and other skills needed for the discipline you are going to choose.
- Try to get information from faculty and students in professional programs along with search on internet. Discuss potential programs in depth with them and on bulletin boards on internet.
After the degree while selecting the career
- Try to know the positive and negative aspects of various careers while comparing them with your strengths and weaknesses.
- Try to get volunteer or internship position in your career area in the beginning.
- Try to get help from the people who work in the career area you are interested.
- Try to know about their work and how they got the position they have now.
- Know their life style and how they spend time, does the life they are describing appeal to you?
- Talk with seniors in the field and try to know what they have learnt and wish they should have known earlier in their career period.
- Develop a network of your own contacts both inside and outside the campus and your discipline.
- Try to keep yourself updated with new opportunities, trends and constantly review the developments in that area.
- Review your career performance and your level of satisfaction every year through out your life.
- Needs extensive training and specialized knowledge.
- Has to undergo Higher Education
- Responsibility lies in his every action
- Guided by certain ethical codes and regulated by certain statute.